Sunday, July 09, 2006

Religion

. Sunday, July 09, 2006

I was raised Roman Catholic, went to relgious education all through elementary and high school, and went to church regularly. Not surprisingly, I stopped going to church while I was in college and after I graduated. I went back to church briefly in the several months leading up to when I got married but have never really gone back since then with any regularity.

I would probably consider myself a cafeteria Catholic or might even go so far as to classify myself as an agnostic. I don't discount the idea that God (or for that matter, other gods and goddesses) exist, but I just can't understand how religious has blinded so many people in this country as to the truths of science and what I believe are to be the myths of the Bible.

There is a Religion Forum over on Syracuse.com that normally I just lurk in the background. I normally do not participate in the discussions because I am admittedly not well versed in the Bible. But on occasion when it takes on more of a discussion of moral or perhaps discussions about evolution or the story of Noah's Ark, I jump right in with both feet. It boggles my mind what are likely "intelligent" people believe and how contrary it is to popular science. I love how these people use circular logic to support their arguement. They use arguements that are not possible to counter-argue.

For example, someone might ask, "What was there before God?"

"God is eternal. God invented time."

"How did Noah get all those animals on that big boat?"

They typically quote something from the bible that gets twisted into all animals being vegetarians back then and how Noah and his family lived to be several hundred years old. One person claimed that people back then were over 10 ft tall so their cubit is bigger than modern man's cubit so the ark is bigger than we would think.

I've got nothing against religious people. Honestly! If they want to believe what they believe, fine by me. But given the abundence of science that definitively contradicts many of the parables of the Bible, I really have a problem when these people assert that what they believe is true.

Those people on the Religion forum can be downright scary. But like a car accident, sometimes you just can't help but look.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The key word is "parables" boo. :)

Anonymous said...

Boo,
I used to post on the Religion Forum quite a lot, but it became quite boring and redundent. The same posters would rehash the same topics and there was no room for any other opinion than theirs.

Anonymous said...

Hey the rabbit family must be getting ready to take a long distance romp, eh? :)

Greeneyezz said...

newt - for a minute there, I thought you were damning my blackened soul to hell for NOT being able to recite the bible! lol

Greeneyezz said...

Hey Boo -
I just posted this in the Religion forum:

4895. "The problem with writing

by Greeneyezz3, 7/19/06 12:43 ET

about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and then they come after you with machetes."
~ Dave Barry (American Writer and Humorist best known for his weekly newspaper column. b.1947)

I've never posted there before; how do you think they'll take it??? :)