Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Gun Control

. Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Let me preface this post by stating that I don't own a gun nor have I ever held or even fired a gun. As much as I am "anti-gun", I don't think that a federal gun control law is a good idea. I think the battle needs to be fought on the state level. What is a major issue in one state (say hand guns in California) may not be an issue in another state (say a rural state such as Vermont). It's just not practical to try and pass a federal law that is very restrictive as it would piss too many people off.

Some other random thoughts.

I think having a gun in the household is an invitation for an accident to happen (or worse). A child could get a hold of the gun (see cartoon above) or a person who is not really an intruder can be shot by accident.

I think that a training course should be required BEFORE you are allowed to purchase a gun. You want a gun? You need to go to this 8 hour class about gun safety.

I think there should be a limit to the number of guns you can own.

There should be stiffer laws (like Project Exile) about owning an illegal (unregistered) gun. Not sure what the statistics are, but it sounds like a good idea in theory.

I doubt there's a real effective method to keep Uzis and "cop killer" bullets out the wrong hands.

I bet that if we had different drug laws that gun violence would decrease.

0 comments: