Thursday, November 09, 2006

Whack-a-Mole

. Thursday, November 09, 2006

This seems to describe my day today. The moment I fix one problem, two others pop up. My day got off to a bad start given the fact that I spent three hours in the ER with Boo Jr last night (from 12:30 until 3:30). He was coughing horribly with what we assume is croup. We left without being seen by the doctor after waiting three hours. The people who were just getting seen as we were leaving had waited 7 hours. We figured, "Hell! Might as well go back to bed, get a couple hours sleep and bring him to the regular doctor in the morning. So needless to say, I'm working on only about 3 hours sleep. I'm a pretty cranky and tired bunny.

I've been super-busy working on getting a 480 bed jail expansion project wrapped up. It's about a $50 million dollar project and is one of the biggest and most complex projects I've ever worked on. I've got almost all of the major design issues completed but all these little details keep popping up, the kind that bite you in the ass if you miss it and it becomes an issue during construction. What you mean that duct is too big to fit under that beam? The friggin architect removes a ceiling in an area where the once was one. So now I need to reroute my ductwork previously hidden about the ceiling so it's no longer visable anymore. It's not always the architect's fault. A lot of times, the Owner makes changes. The devil is certainly in the details. The last 10% of a project always seems to take 50% of your time.

AARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

1 comments:

Mohawk Chieftain said...

Jeez, Boo. I'm sure sorry about the little guy. I hope you get that ironed out real quick!