Saturday, August 11, 2007

Random Thoughts

. Saturday, August 11, 2007

It's been quite a while since I had an "original" post on my blog. I've relied on pictures and a lot of "cut-and-paste". A lot of it has to do with the fact that I've been very busy lately (more on that later). I've also had some writer's block and felt like I didn't have much to talk about. And it seems when I do have something to talk about, I'm too busy to put pen to paper and write it up here. So here are some random thing that have been going on lately.

Work

Like I said, I've been really busy at work. Not so busy that I've had to put much overtime in, but busy nonetheless. I just finished up a design for an outdoor shooting range. Projects on the front burner include a major courthouse renovation/expansion, a new courthouse, and a small courthouse expansion. On the backburner, I've got a minor public safety building renovation and a sports arena renovation. I've got a number of projects currently in construction including a high school, a college academic building, two courthouses, and a jail. Fortunately, I'm a very efficient worker and haven't had to put much overtime in. I'm not complaining about being so busy because it sucks having nothing to do all day.

My Boss

My boss has been out of work the past week for major surgery (brain cavernoma). He'll be out for another 4 to 6 weeks still. I am one of four people who will "rule by committee" while he's out. Nothing has come up yet, but I don't expect anything major to happen while my boss is out.

More Stuff

- One of our clients sent an e-mail to one of my company's VPs saying what a good job I did at a recent progress meeting. They had lots of questions about their project and were impressed with the way that I explained things.

- Sent my last car payment for my 2002 Camry. Got the title in the mail earlier this week. It's good to have it paid off because money was getting a little tight with two car payments (my wife got a new car back in November).

- It's been hotter than fucking shit this past week. Temperatures have been over 100F and it's been close to 110F with the heat index. My AC really struggles when it's that hot out and it gets kind of toasty upstairs. I really sleep like crap when it's hot out.

- Boo Jr had a virus this week so he wasn't sleeping well either. He seems to be doing better now.

- Sofie had to go to the vet due to a bladder infection. She had been asking to go out in the middle of the night for several days so we brought her in to get her checked out. She's been on medicine for a couple days now and that seems to have done the trick.

- Boo Jr's already to start Kindergarten in the fall. Went to open house at the elementary school to meet the new principal and vice principal. We also downloaded a copy of the sylibus from the school website. Seems like besides some math-type stuff in the spring, Boo Jr pretty much knows everything from attending preschool for two years.

- I think it's nuts all of the school supplies we're required to buy. 20 glue sticks? Scissors? It's obvious that they pool all the supplies together and that some people don't contribute. Taxes are certainly lower here in VA compared to NY, but it's stuff like that that still burns my shorts.

- Bought a new plain gold wedding band for my wife for her birthday. Her fingers swell in heat down here and has trouble putting on her rings. This ring is a larger size so she has something to wear during the summer.

10 comments:

Mohawk Chieftain said...

I'd like to suggest that you get a small, window air conditioner, just for your bedroom and use it at night. That is what we used to do, and it worked quite well; less energy waste than doing the whole house at night. Later on, we dropped down to just a ceiling fan in our room at night; worked just as well. Also, as an engineer, I'm sure you've got an attic fan up there to help keep your place cozier.

Good luck to Baby Boo in school! It's the beginning of his grand adventure!

Anonymous said...

I agree about the school supplies. When I was a kid EVERYTHING was supplied, and as I progressed in school, supplies slowly were added, but they were never a big deal...they were always things like notebook paper and pens. Here is what we had to buy for our son's first day of school:

KINDERGARTEN

*
12 GLUE STICKS
*
1 PAIR OF FISKAR SCISSORS
*
1 BOX OF 16 COUNT CRAYONS
*
1 PACKAGE OF #2 PENCILS
*
BOOK BAG - NO WHEELS AND A LARGE ENOUGH TO PUT A HOMEWORK FOLDER IN
*
1 BOX OF KLEENEX
*
1 CONTAINER OF HAND SANITIZER
*
1 CONTAINER OF SOFT SOAP
*
2 - 1/2" THREE RING BINDERS (FOR POETRY NOTEBOOKS)

Anonymous said...

And by 'supplies slowly were added' I meant supplies that we had to actually purchase ourselves. When I read-read that it sounded confusing. Before 3rd grade or so everything was supplied and after 3rd grade or so we only had to buy the pens, pencils, notebooks, etc...certainly never any hand sanitizer!

It's you know who! said...

Hey boo, hope your son is feeling better soon. Are you going to go with him to drop him off at his first day of Kindergarten? Don't forget to take a picture! Somewhere we have pictures of kindergarten with the hanging name tag.

I think Chief's suggestion of a window a/c is a good one!

That was nice of you to buy your wife another ring to wear in the summer. Sweet! :)

Boo said...

I will see him off when he gets on the bus. I know we're not allowed to take our child directly to class on the first day. PTA volunteers do that. They do this because too many parents and kids make a big commotion (kids crying, too long good-byes, etc). I'm pretty sure it's OK to watch him get off the bus at school. My wife and I will go out to breakfast afterwards and then I'll go to work for the rest of the day.

Anonymous said...

How far do you live from the school? We're only about 2 miles, so my son will be riding his bike (with me following along, of course), or I'll drive him. I checked the bus schedule and it just didn't make sense for me to have him take the bus when we live so close...he's have to get on the bus much earlier than necessary. Of course, it could be worse. I checked some of the others streets, and on one of them the kids (Kindergarten studnets!) have to catch the bus at 6:15am and they don't get home in the afternoon until almost 3:30. That's just too long of a day for small kids! Blah!

Boo said...

We're only about two miles from the school too. Boo Jr can't ride a bike so that's out of the question. The schools here have four different shifts. My son's school goes from 9:20 - 3:40. Not sure when the bus picks him up yet. We want him to take the bus so he becomes more independent.

Greeneyezz said...

Good Morning Boo!

I'm liking the 'random thoughts' aspects of your blog. It gives me a wee little piece into your world and makes for interesting reading. Keep it up! ;)

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, ok. School here is from 7:40 until 2:20 so it'd still be dark during the winter when he'd be waiting for the bus. Blah.

Unknown said...

Boo!!! I really, really like it when you just talk like this...gives me more insight into you and your family. Hope Boo jr and Sophie are feeling better now. Take the chief's advise and get a small a/c or what about a ceiling fan over the bed?

All of your new projects sound very cool.

BTW when you wrote "hotter than fucking shit" it took me back to my childhood! How weird is that? I'm laughing right now as I remember riding my tricycle down the street and coming home to tell my mom that there was "flamming poo" in someone's yard! And she needed to go investigate right away! She was not happy. Of course it wasn't on fire, it was steaming in the cool air! LOL!