Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What's in a name?

. Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I've been meaning to write about this for quite some time but haven't gotten around to it until now. There's another boy named Boo in my son's class. So my son is Boo B (Bunny) and the other little boy is Boo R (Rabbit). I understand the need to avoid confusing the two kids, especially when writting their name on their paper or artwork. But annoys me is that all the kids call my son Boo B even if Boo R isn't even around. I would almost rather have everyone call him by his complete first and last name instead.

I'm interested in hearing from others how they felt when there were other kids in their class with the same name.

It's kind of funny at work with certain names. Paul is a popular name. We have Old Paul, New Paul, Fire Paul, and Paul in Interiors. There's a lot of Steves at my work too. My name isn't all that common so I haven't run into any of this much.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think I have much to give you on this one, both my boys have very common male names. I wouldn't let it bother you but I would ask young Boo if it bothers him. Both of my sons have names that could be used in a formal or informal way. Example: Edward; Ed; Eddie; Ted; Teddy; Ned or Wardie (yes Wardie). So sometimes when they were in a class with a boy that had the same first name they were able to differentiate by being called Edward instead of Ted.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize your son's name was all that common. I can't think of anyone else with his name, except one person who is in his 70's. Interesting. My son is the only person with his name in his class. A lot of the kids in his class have pretty exotic names. My husband and one of the other guys at his work have no only the same first name, but the last name is very similar, especially when said with a southern accent. They get each others phone calls sometimes.

First and last name works for me in keeping down the confusion, and the kids are going to have to learn to write their last names, anyway, so why not start now? My son's class has been writing their last names on their work lately.